We all know how important it is to keep our personal computers secure from viruses, malware and cybercrime. As we study and connect online during COVID-19, you’re probably logging on more than ever, so make sure you take advantage of Deakin’s free cybersecurity tools.
Never forget another password!
Having strong and secure passwords is a must, but how on earth are you supposed to remember and store them all? Simple! Use LastPass Premium.
LastPass helps you take control of your digital life by:
- generating and storing long, randomised passwords that protect against hacking
- syncing data across all your browsers and machines
- storing digital records.
As a Deakin student, you’re able to subscribe to LastPass Premium for free! To make sure you never forget another password, create a Last Pass account by following these steps:
- Log on to https://lastpass.com/partnerpremium/deakin.
- Enter your Deakin email (typically firstname.lastname@example.org) and your personal email address, and Submit.
- Check your Deakin email account – there will be an email from LastPass prompting you to click on a link to Upgrade my account.
- Click on the link in the email and it will invite you to select either Create an Account or Log In (if you’re an existing user). If you already have an account, log in with your LastPass username and password, and click on the Redeem Premium Upgrade link.
Protect your machine against malware and viruses
With so many more people studying and working remotely, anti-virus and anti-malware software is more important than ever. At a minimum, you should install one of the below free tools to ensure your computer is protected:
You should only install one anti-virus product at a time. If you’re changing products, you must first uninstall your old product.
Add an extra layer of safety online
Protect your computer from online threats with Cisco Umbrella, which blocks malicious and unwanted domains, IP addresses and cloud applications before a connection is ever established.
If you ever need to access a website that you know is legitimate but is blocked, you can disable/enable Umbrella as required.
Keep your computer up to date
Want some of the thinking done for you? Get Patch for Home, which is a third-party product that can update your personal computer. It simply finds the latest updates from products on your computer and makes sure they get applied.
- Use Patch for Home (Windows only).
Get help and more information
- Our Cybersecurity blog will keep you up to date with the latest known online scams and show you how to stay safe online – from protecting your personal information when using your mobile phone or shopping online to reporting scams on various social media sites.
- Got a question or IT issue? Send a support ticket to IT Help or email email@example.com.