Search for off-campus housing
Search for off-campus housing at the Division of Student Life Off- Campus Housing Service
In central Geelong DUSA operates an accommodation facility for 1st year students @ Smythe Place
The property will be open for inspection on Thursday 14th and Friday 15th of February between 2 - 3pm ONLY.
Smythe will NOT be open outside these scheduled inspection times.
Smythe Place is a modern 17 bed room house operated by DUSA to assist students on low income and/or homeless tertiary students attending Deakin University, Waterfront and Waurn Ponds campuses. The rooming house is located in the inner city of Geelong and has easy access to the community services, facilities and public transport.
Please contact the DUSA office on 5227 3322 for further information.
Selection criteria apply - see below. You must write a supporting letter of application addressing the criteria.
You are obliged to obey the conditions as per your lease, observe all House Rules and directives of DUSA Staff.
In the first week all residents will be required to allocate household tasks to ensure the household operates in a congenial and clean and tidy manner.
Residents act as support to each other, you're all 1st years and in the same boat! A DUSA Student Support Officer provides support and administers the building's operation. House meetings are conducted regularly enabling resident input and feedback.
DUSA will run a workshop prior to the beginning of semester on cooking, cleaning and household tasks to give you independant living skills for life!
Rent & Bond
Weekly rent is $100 which must be paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly. Bond is $400: equivalent to four weeks rent.
Smythe is wheelchair accessible and all bedrooms are furnished with a king single bed, small fridge, wardrobe, storage trunk, pin board, study table and chair. All rooms are heated.
Fully equipped laundry, six bathrooms, two kitchens with two gas stoves, microwave oven, toasters and lockable food cabinets. A large freezer is also available. Two lounge areas with television/DVD. A blue coin phone for incoming/outgoing calls.
Free WiFi broadband internet available.
Sheets, towels, pillow, doona, crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils and personal items.
It is recommended that residents take out contents insurance to cover their personal affects.
As with all inner city streets a 2 hour time parking limit applies. Two permit zones are available for students to share.
Selection Criteria for Residents
Accommodation at Smyth Place for each academic year is based on students meeting the Selection Criteria. You must write your application addressing the Selection Criteria.
Please email your application and support documents to:
Lisa Schuppe firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Support Officer
Deakin University Student Association Inc
Pigdons Road, Waurn Ponds 3217
You must show in your letter of application:
- DUSA membership - tenants must be DUSA Gold members
- Low Income (and/or homeless) - state your inability to obtain affordable, stable and secure accommodation because of income level and/or homelessness.
- Income - state your sources of income and levels
- Copies of pay slips, Centrelink payment advice or a Statutory Declaration from your parents as to the allowance they pay you.
- Age - 17-24 on entry
Any of the following criteria will be taken into account and support your application:
- First time away from home
- Distance from home
- Reliance on public transport
- Parent/s or guardian in receipt of a Centrelink or Veteran's benefit or pension
- Family size: large or small?
- Attitude - Ability and/or demonstrated experience of participating in a group/team environment in a positive manner (assessed on the basis of experience and personal qualities)
- Personal motivation - related to academic, career, social and personal aspects. Recognition of personal circumstances and your desire to contribute to a positive communal living experience.
- Independent living skills - demonstrated ability or desire to acquire independent living skills - ie budgeting, cooking, cleaning etc
- Referees and References - names and contacts of two referees and personal references.